Nepali dances are very important for life, culture, and traditions. It is also a good source of entertainment as well as an effective refresher. The movement of feet and body in the rhythm of song or music in a pleasing way is a dance. The complement of dance is song and music. Mainly we can classify Nepali dance into two kinds, ‘classical and folk dances.’
1. Classical Dances: This type of dance is based on the ancient classic.
2. Folk Dances: This type of dance is based on flock songs and music.
Famous Classical And Folk Dances of Nepal
1. Ghatu Nritya: The dance is popular among the Gurung community. Mainly 10-19 years girl performs the dance with their traditional customs singing the mantras.
2. Deuda Naach: This dance originally belongs to the Midwestern and far western region of Nepal. The dance is performed by forming the circle shoulder to shoulder and by holding hands of adjacent dancers. Nowadays this dance can be found in the other regions of the country too.
3. Chandi Naach: This dance is popular among the Rai community. Mainly at their great festival Undhauli and Unbhauli, they perform the dance.
4. Dandi Naach: The Dandi Naach is also known as Phagu Naach because it is mainly performed in phagu Purnima. It is performed by hitting two sticks between the partners in the pattern. This dance is mainly popular in the Terai region of Nepal.
5. Dhan Naach: This dance is the traditional dance of the Limbu community performed during the harvest of major crops.
6. Sorathi Nritya: This dance is also prevalent in the Gurung community performed in the circle by playing Madal.
7. Maruni Nritya: The dance is popular in the eastern hills of Nepal. Maruni Nritya is performed by men in the guise of women.
8. Hanuman Nritya: The dance is mainly popular in Baglung, Syangja, and other hilly regions. This dance is performed in disguise of Hanuman who was the devotee of Ram.
10. Gauna Nritya: The Dance is based in Mithila Tradition and popular in Janakpur region of Nepal. This dance is performed on religious occasions.
11. Chyabrug Nritya: This the traditional dance of the Limbu community performed to the tune of Chyabrug.
12. Hopcha Nritya: This is the traditional classical dance of the Rai community mainly found in the Dhankuta region.
13. Kaura Naach: The dance is mainly popular among the Magars of the Western region and accompanied by Kaura song.
14. Mundhum Naach: This dance belongs to the Kirat community. At the time of dance the Kirat priest (DOPA)sing the song Mundhum.
15. Khyali Naach: Khyali Naach is also called Pangdure dance mainly perform during festivals and poojas in the musical rhythm of Khainjadi and Mujuras.
16. Chhokara Nritya: The dance is similar to Maruni dance and popular in the Far-western region of Nepal.
17. Panchabuddha Nritya: The dance is based on Buddhist traditional dance by a group of 5 people.
18. Charitra Nritya: The dance is mainly popular in the Terai region. The dance is based on the theme of Puranas.